The original dish, with meat, is a specialty in Italy’s northern region of Emilia-Romagna after being named for its capital city, Bologna. Using only the best and freshest ingredients, this classic comfort food is re-imagined to incorporate the Reishi mushroom. Be patient with the sauce so that you will achieve the ideal authentic texture. Use this recipe is for that romantic dinner for two paired with a nice red wine. This recipe makes enough sauce for about 1 regular sized box of linguine.
- 1 pound baby Bella mushrooms, de-stemmed and torn
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 2 peeled medium carrots
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Reishi mushroom powder
- 1 small Parmigiano-Reggiano rind, plus ¼ cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 large rosemary sprig
- 1 fresh basil leaf
- 1 Box Favorite Linguine
- Kosher salt
Food Processor: A food processor with a powerful blade and motor will help easily mix the ingredients.
Enameled Cast Iron Dish: This classic cooking item should be a mainstay in your cooking arsenal.
Whisk: Blend the ingredients together using a sauce whisk to ensure they are thoroughly blended.
Pasta Boiling Pot: Utilize pots having a tapered rim for drip-free pouring when draining pasta
Mixing Bowl: Use a large enough mixing bowl so that all your ingredients can be mixed thoroughly.
Spatula: A good spatula to scrap downs the sides of the food processor during the pulsing stage is an essential tool for any budding chef.
- Pulse mushrooms until finely chopped and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Pulse walnuts until finely chopped and transfer to the same mixing bowl.
- Repeat process with carrots, onions and garlic, transferring each to the large mixing bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron dish.
- Add in: fennel seeds and red pepper and cook for 30 seconds until the spices give off an aroma.
- Add chopped mushrooms, walnuts, carrots, onions, and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes until tender.
- Create a well in the center and add tomato paste for one minute until the l paste is a deep red color.
- Fold the tomato paste with the rest of the items in the dish and use a spatula to scrap up any residue on the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the crushed tomatoes and Reishi mushroom powder until you get a smooth consistency and add to the dish.
- Add parmesan rind, rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to simmer and partially cover the dish, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes. Discard the rind and rosemary when done.
- Boil linguine following box directions and drain when done.
- Serve linguine topped with Bolognese sauce and garnish with shaved parmesan and drizzled olive oil or basil leaf.